This course covers fundamental concepts of game development and allows students to use their programming skills in a practical environment. We will be using the Unity engine, but the skills can easily be transfered to other frameworks and software tools.
- Basics (Game Engines, modern software tools, project management)
- C#-Fundamentals (Syntax, data types, operators, control structures)
- User interaction (in-/output with keyboard, mouse and controller, user interfaces)
- Gameplay scripting (Moving GameObjects, controlling the camera, game loops, framerates)
- Physics (Rigidbodies, collider, trigger)
- Assets (importing images, audio files and 3D models, creating animations)
- Graphics (Textures, particle effects, lighting, post-processing)
- Level design (tilemaps, 3D environments, terrains)
Students will work on various game development tasks after a brief introduction for each unit. Most of the course content is available as lecture videos, slides and exercises. The weekly sessions will be used to talk about the concepts from the lectures in much more detail, prepare you for the following week, and answer any of your open questions.
You will work on various projects over the course of the semester, which will be the basis for your final grade. There will be no final exam (neither written nor oral). The course is designed to be a practical application of your programming skills, so your entire grade will come from the actual tasks you complete during the semester.
- Course type
- Summer Term 2022
every week on Thursday from 14:15 to 15:45 in room HZO 50.
First appointment is on 07.04.2022
Last appointment is on 14.07.2022
- This course is designed for students that already have an understanding of basic programming principles.
- Prior knowledge in an object-oriented language like C# or Java is of advantage.
- You need to have access to a computer that is able to run the Unity Engine (https://unity3d.com/de/get-unity/download).
- Having a SSD is extremely helpful, as it will speed up loading times immensly.
- A mouse with a scroll wheel is also really useful for working with Unity.
- The course material is only be available in English.
- Communication can be done in German or English.