The Ruhr-Universität Bochum is one of the leading research universities. The university draws its strengths from both the diversity and the proximity of scientific and engineering disciplines on a single, coherent campus. This highly dynamic setting enables students and researchers to work across traditional boundaries of academic subjects and faculties.
One particular strength of RUB is interdisciplinary research in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, see https://ml-ai.rub.de/. The Institute for Neural Computation is a central research institute, see https://www.ini.rub.de/. It focuses on the dynamics and learning of perception and behavior on a functional level but is otherwise very diverse, ranging from neurophysiology and psychophysics over computational neuroscience to machine learning and technical applications.
There is an open position for a research assistant / Phd-student in the group „Theory of Neural Systems“ of Prof. Dr. Laurenz Wiskott to be filled at 15th of September. The appointment will be for three years. Salary is 75% of salary scale TV-L E13.
• Develop a cognitive system that learns to behave reasonably in new situations based on few episodic experiences. Central to the system shall be an episodic and a semantic memory. The application domain will be navigation. The candidate is free to put the focus on machine learning techniques or on the modeling of natural cognition.
• An interesting interdisciplinary environment in the field of Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence / Computational Neuroscience.
• Room to develop your own ideas in the project.
• Infrastructure to integrate well into the institute and the group.
• Opportunity to do a PhD (Dr).
• Very good Master in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or a related field.
• Good programming and mathematical skills.
• Interest in interdisciplinary research questions and cooperations.
• Experience in Machine Learning and/or Computational Neuroscience.
• Good communication and teamwork skills.
• Experience in interdisciplinary projects.
• Programming skills in Python.
Applications (CV, transcript of records for MSc and BSc, statement of purpose) should be sent as a single pdf file to email@example.com.
Travel expenses for interviews will not be refunded.
Ruhr-University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and gender equality in its working environment. We therefore look forward to applications from qualified women. Applications from appropriately qualified handicapped persons are also encouraged.
Ruhr University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and gender equality in its working environment. To increase gender distribution in all job categories and at all levels, we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. Female applicants will be given preferential consideration when their level of qualification, competence and professional achievements equals that of male candidates, unless arguments based on the personal background of a male co-applicant prevail. Applications from appropriately qualified handicapped persons are also encouraged.