The Ruhr-Universität Bochum is one of the leading research universities. The university draws its strengths from both the diversity and the proximity of scientific and engineering disciplines on a single, coherent campus. This highly dynamic setting enables students and researchers to work across traditional boundaries of academic subjects and faculties.
One particular strength of RUB are the neurosciences. The Institute for Neural Computation is a central research institute, see https://www.ini.rub.de/. It focuses on the dynamics and learning of perception and behavior on a functional level but is otherwise very diverse, ranging from neurophysiology and psychophysics over computational neuroscience to machine learning and technical applications.
There is an open position for a research assistant / Phd-student in the group „Theory of Neural Systems“ of Prof. Dr. Laurenz Wiskott to be filled at the earliest possible date. The appointment will be for three years. Salary is 29,87 h/w of salary scale TV-L E13.
The load of teaching will be calculated according to §3 of Lehrverpflichtungsverordnung (state of North Rhine-Westphalia).
* Development of a model of the hippocampus to store episodic sequences and its application to navigational experiences with the goal to better understand the neural basis of memory-based navigation.
* Support in teaching.
* An interesting interdisciplinary environment in the field of Computational Neuroscience / Machine Learning.
* Room to develop your own ideas in the project.
* Infrastructure to integrate well into the institute and the group.
* Opportunity to do a PhD (Dr).
* Very good Master in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or a related field.
* Good programming and mathematical skills.
* Interest in neuroscientific research questions.
* Good communication and teamwork skills.
* Experience in interdisciplinary projects.
* Programming skills in Python.
Applications (CV, transcript of records for MSc and BSc, statement of purpose) should be sent as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application period ends on March 7, 2021.
Travel expenses for interviews will not be refunded.
Ruhr University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and gender equality in its working environment. To increase gender distribution in all job categories and at all levels, we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. Female applicants will be given preferential consideration when their level of qualification, competence and professional achievements equals that of male candidates, unless arguments based on the personal background of a male co-applicant prevail. Applications from appropriately qualified handicapped persons are also encouraged.